Saturday, April 4, 2015

Kappa

Maybe I should be the one to explain this.

After all, I'm apparently the one who started flexing his Gaud powers or whatever.

Kappa came after us, as one might expect. I'm sure someone's joked about this before, but Tamaron seems to be working on martial arts movie rules. Only one guy can attack at a time.

Assuming he's also going with the Avatar model (gah), his minions can move any sort of form of their assigned element. So when Garry was having lunch with me in the "living room," he started complaining to me about getting really thirsty. I went to get him one of the water jugs, and when he came back, he was sweating and gasping. He told me he'd never been so thirsty in his life. That was when his sweat started trying to kill him.

Suddenly, all the sweat flashed off his face and formed an undulating sphere of water that just hung in the air. We both stared at it for a second, before it suddenly lunged at his face. Like one of those sickness masks, it wrapped around his mouth and nose. And we knew what was happening.

Garry swatted at the sweat-blob, but it didn't go away--or if it was dispersed, moisture from the air just replaced what was lost. He started panicking--we both did. I sprinted outside...

There he was, just like all the others. Robes flowing as he stared at the house. I couldn't see his face but he was probably smiling. A.S. and Derek told me later that he had started working on them, too--why he didn't lash out at me, I don't know. Maybe it's because I'm the youngest. Or maybe Tamaron wanted him to make me alone, so he could get his sick fun out of breaking me down without any help in the world.

That made me angry.

And my anger reached into the dryness of the air. I know that doesn't make any sense, but I just the impression of my mind as a direction, gaining energies by passing through certain zones of...something. Images, ideas. My mental arrows dipped into the angry fire.

As a fireball flew towards Kappa, I felt my fingertips get singed. We both let out a yell. He shot a ray of water out of his hand to put out the fire, but his hood went down. And I saw he wasn't in fact smiling. He looked scared.

It felt good to make him afraid. And that satisfaction netted me another fireball.

I still don't know how I was doing it, but in the heat of the moment--sorry--it just all came together. I could control Ifrit's powers now. I realized that, and that gave me another idea...

I "fired" another arrow into the ground, and dug deep into the earth with my mind. I tried to imagine Golem. Just as my sweat and the water from the air around me starting drowning me, too, I managed to rip up a spike of fused dirt. He heard it tear itself free, and he turned to face it.

That's when I rammed it through his heart, stake-vampire style.

I'm told that I passed out shortly thereafter.

Since waking up, I was able to explain what had happened. (Everyone was fine, of course--the water-spell broke as soon as Kappa died.) At first, they were disinclined to believe me, until I showed them the spike in his body.

I myself wondered if these powers were just a fluke, brought on by confronting someone who was going to kill my friends.

But I pulled the earth open to bury Kappa, without touching it, and I just heated my ramen without a stove. I can make the broth in the bowl dance...

I guess wind will have to come later. Probably sooner rather than, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment